Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Notes from Discussion

As a few of you were unable to attend our monthly meeting last night, I thought I would include some ideas we discussed.
First, Oscar Wilde is hilarious! The snappy comebacks and asides happening throughout the play reveal his wit and the reason for his popularity.
As close as a realism play and a comedy can come in similarity, there were many different ideas and themes found in both A Dolly's House and An Ideal Husband. One spouse losing the favor of the other, the love trysts that inevitably "save" the offending party, the blackmailers, as well as unreal and unfair expectations of character in the two marriages. Look for more details that are shared.
As for Tess, neither of the starring men are good guys. Both leave her ruined and unable to face society and family in any degree of honor or provision. There is a lot of symbolism throughout.

1 comment:

  1. What is interesting is that I totally miss our characters and books when I'm finished reading them. I really--I was about to write "sorely"--miss Tess. It is almost as if I regret for her the days of her innocence and youth and happiness at the dairy. No, none of the men were worth anything. They were both villains, just in different ways. One an obvious villian and one parading as an innocent. It is interesting though, how there seems always to be a character that says they love things that are against the norm of the day, but they are hypocrites when it actually occurs in their life. Angel in Tess, the grandmother (?) in Vanity Fair--which I still have to read instead of just watch the movie--and someone else that I can't seem to recall at the moment. I never would've picked up on the scarlet ribbon in Tess's hair, but how symbolic of several things in her life, not only her death but her shattered innocence. Thanks for all the great reads. I really appreciate it Liz!

    ReplyDelete