Saturday, September 26, 2009

Keep Reading!

The trials of everyone trying to obtain a copy of this book is kind of ironic in that there are such crazy obstacles and adventures within the story! You may find segments of the story to be slow, but I PROMISE, it allows her to tie everything up nicely at the end. So, keep on reading. She builds and builds and builds and then resolves. Her writing style is definitely a true and perfect exhibition of denouement!
Ann Radcliffe is flowery with her descriptions of things, yet this is influenced by other artists she admires. She makes mention of a couple of painters in her story. Looking at their works helps one understand her writing style better. (To view such pieces, search Salvator Rosa, Claude Lorraine, Gaspard Poussin, Domenico Zampieri). By viewing these paintings, you can understand more of the landscape and the mood Radcliffe invokes through her writings.
Like Dracula, there is hope, so you must journey to the "end of the rainbow" to have that satisfaction. Enjoy and keep reading!

5 comments:

  1. Where is everyone? I'm just starting chapter 11 tonight. You couldn't be more correct when you say that we may "find segments of the story to be slow." There were two full long paragraphs I just couldn't bear to read at one point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahah ... what I just wrote cracks me up. I'm on Chapter 11 of the first volume. I'm not sure I can make it through this book in a month. Holy moly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first volume IS slow...so skim if need be! Get on to the meat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I MUST start this book!! I have ready the first page a couple of times!! I'm sure if I can get started I will finish it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started volume II last night and received my book today. I'm pretty excited to cozy up to the book rather than the laptop.

    ReplyDelete